Website speed is the product of many related factors - a whole list in fact.
Optimize performance from every angle with the help of this quick reference of 16+ fundamental techniques to make any website a faster and more effective sales platform.
Learn more about each item on the list with the complete website performance optimization guide.
Minimize Page Weight
- Clean House
- Identify and remove unused file resources, like old plugins and framework modules.
- Consolidate Files
- Logically combine files used on the same page(s) for more efficient file compression.
- Minify Files
- Optimize Fonts
- Choose text styles carefully to minimize the number of additional font files needed.
- CSS Imagery
- Use image sprites and replace image files with CSS-generated imagery where possible.
- File Formats
- Save images with the most appropriate file format for the best quality-to-file-size ratio.
- Size images appropriately for the context, as well as the screen & device sizes of your users.
- Adjust compression to minimize file size in balance with the desired level of quality.
- Meta Data
- Remove all metadata from image files, keeping or adding information as needed.
- Select images that can be compressed more aggressively before visual quality is reduced.
- HTML Structure
- Resource Hints
- Jumpstart HTTP connections and download third-party files sooner in the loading process
- Web Hosting & CDNs
- Use web hosting with low response time, high uptime and servers close to your users
- HTTPS & HTTP/2
- Set up your domain with HTTPS for security and your web hosting with HTTP/2 for speed.
- HTTP Compression
- Configure your web server to compress some file types for faster transfer over the web.
- Cache Control
- Strategically set long expirations for cached files to avoid unnecessary data transfer.